"Quick Pitch with a New Twist" Winners!
Students had the opportunity to showcase their entrepreneurial, communication, and presentation skills through a short “quick pitch” proposal for a new business venture during the finals on April 13, 2017. They delivered their pitch to a panel of entrepreneurially-minded leaders from Nebraska. The finals were held on the lawn of the Firethorn Resort.
Congratulations to Kelsey Foster, Lindsey Sabatka and Brittney Cihal who each received $1000 cash prizes! A fun and casual networking reception took place on the deck of the resort following the announcement of the winners.
Business Plan Competition
Each year, University of Nebraska students are invited to present their business plans to a panel of judges. Judges select finalists who are coached and given feedback. Finalists then compete again for a first place and second place cash prize. The business plan competition gives you the opportunity to practice your presentation skills and get your idea funded!
- Students will be divided into 2-3 different groups depending on number of entries accepted.
- After all plans have been presented, the judges will have time to discuss the scores and choose the finalist(s).
- Between 4:15-5 pm the judges will have time for coaching and feedback with their group of presenters.
- The finalists will be announced immediately following the feedback session. Finalists will be competing for first place cash prize of $4000 and second place of $1000.
Business Plan Application (Prior winners are ineligible to compete)
Intent to Compete Applications are due by November 21st at 11:59 pm. No late entries will be accepted! The application can be found at https://englerexperience.wufoo.com/forms/w46gse30m0h5yg/ . You must submit an abstract that can be no more than 250 words. You will also need to submit a balance sheet, income statement, and cash flows for a five-year period for your business plan.
By submitting an application, you agree to compete on Friday, December 2nd if selected.
Each abstract and financials submitted will be reviewed by a qualified panel and those selected to compete will be notified by 12 pm November 23rd at the latest. Students who are selected will need to submit their completed business plans which can consist of 10 pages of written materials including the three financial statements, as well as 6 pages of appendices by 8 a.m. Monday, November 28th.
Business Plan Competition Rules
- Each student must present original material for a start-up business and the work must be that of the contestants.
- Each participant MUST be currently enrolled at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- Each student will have 10 minutes to present their plan to a panel of judges; when 10 minutes has been reached, a timer will stop the presentation. Contestants will be given 5 minute and 1 minute notices.
- Judges will then have up to 5 minutes for a question and answer session with the student.
- Presentation may be given by an individual, or a team.
- Digital forms of visual aids will be allowed and need to be submitted 24 hours in advance to Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students will have 5 minutes to set up any visual aids before they are required to begin. You may arrive before 12:00 p.m. to test the equipment if digital visuals are being used.
- Competitors may not observe other presenters until they have presented.
- All decisions by the judges and the competition committee are final.
- If students have questions they should address those to Zach Settje at email@example.com
Intent to Compete
Because space is limited in the Engler Experience Business Plan Competition, by entering your application you are agreeing to compete if you are selected!